22 February 2017

Braiding


When your hair is incredibly long, sometimes you dream of better ways to manage that braid. A Cinderella story, butterflies arranging your hair effortlessly.

For this project I chose to do a wall hanging using chipboard for the background (and backing) and a ribbon recycled from some long ago gift. The ribbon seemed perfectly matched to the Distress Ink and Perfect Pearls painting I had done.


Supplies

and ribbon recycled from some by-gone gift. 

Putting It Together

A blog post that I have in the back of my head (and partially written) is digis for the water colourist, or at least for someone using water medium on watercolour cardstock. Ink jet printer ink is not waterproof. It will smear when you get it wet unless you do something to 'fix' it. I first cut down one of the 90 lb watercolour sheets. Both of the types I use are on 9 inches by 12 inches pads. I have to trim them to 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches, the maximum size either of my printers can handle. After printing, I spray the sheet with cheap aerosol hairspray. Then I leave it to dry for several hours or even several days to both 'fix' the ink and to get rid of the hairspray smell (which is sickly sweet to me).


When I want to print a digi, I usually put a few on the sheet, using Photoshop to resize and place them, so I don't waste much of the sheet. I have been collecting a few digi over the last few months once I figured out how to use my preferred medium with them.


For this project, I wanted to try a different skin tone. I started with a pale olive-y green base colour, Old Paper and added shading with Vintage Photo.


I added on Tea Dye and Rusty Hinge. 


For hair, I started with Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs...


...and additional shading and strands with Ground Espresso.  I did intend for a darker brown hair but loved how this looked so much I stayed here.


For her dress, I started with Broken China with Faded Jeans shading. It was at this point I realised what an influence our recent chilly weather has had on me. I was thinking of a long sleeve dress but realised the arms could be bare as well. Frankly, I still think it works either way. 


To add a bit of shimmer to her dress I used Perfect Pearls Blue Patina. I added more shading with Chipped Sapphire and Mermaid Lagoon.


I painted the butterflies with Shaded Lilac, Wilted Violet, and Seedless Preserves shading. 


I added Black Soot for the butterfly bodies and added gold touches to the wings.


My notes on the colours used.


By dry fitting card base dies over the image, I found the one that fits. Every time I do this I think I need even more shape dies. Then again, I'm not sure I could ever have too many *laugh*


Once I die cut the image (and embossed the self-matting), I started playing with ideas of what to do with it. I rarely have a whole project in mind when I start painting. 

While looking at the painted image, I thought of a wide ribbon in my stash. It's ribbon that was once on a gift to me from my sweetie. I think it was the orchids for my birthday that we weren't able to bring with us when we moved to Canada, but it might have been something else. What I am sure of, it looks beautiful with this image.


The mirror made me think of a wall hanging. I tried some lacy dies to edge the image but they weren't 'singing' to me, and then I thought of the Plaque and Postage die and chip board I had in my stash.


I die cut the top of the chip board, trimmed the sides, and rounded the bottom corners. I dry fit again to see if the shapes fit and was very pleased.


Using Shaded Lilac and a blending tool, I added pale purple to the white side of the chip board.


Definitely in the right direction. I also decided to matte the image with mercury glass gold. I also started thinking of the ribbon being behind.


I tried using a stencil to add flowers with Wilted Violet. The colour combo I liked, the size of the flowers I didn't. but.. seeing the leaves in the stenciling it gave me an idea. I light purpled another chip board (setting this one aside for another day,


I lined up the leaves on the outside area of the chip board panel.


Using the blending tool, I pounced on Cracked Pistachio and Wilted Violet.


I moved the stencil around to cover the outside area with leaves, adding the two colours.


I dry fit the image and liked the result.


I covered my work surface with a towel and sprayed Perfect Pearls mixed with water for a light shimmer and stray drops, Perfect Gold and Grape Fizz. I used my heat tool to dry the spray before using the blending tool to go over the outside edge of the chip board with Wilted Violet.


To attach and anchor the ribbon, I die cut the top of a soft finish cardstock panel. I first threaded the ribbon through a piece I die cut from Gilded Life Foil Surfaces gold on one side, silver on the other, with the ribbon folded, I sandwiched it between the cardstock and chip board, using Multi-medium Matte since it's a strong adhesive.


I adhered the image panel to the gold panel with tape runner then used foam mounting tape to attache them to the board.



Challenges

Sheepski Designs Facebook challenge and DT call: Anything Goes
Try It On Tuesday: Let's Get Messy (background with Distress Inks and Perfect Pearls)
Tuesday Throwdown: Favourite Embellishment (stenciled background, die cuts)
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Crafty Friends: Anything Goes
Vilda Stamps: Anything Goes
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes

11 comments:

  1. A really beautiful project and a great tip about the hairspray. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really adore this wonderful motif and how you perfectly colored it so skillful! Good tip with the hairspray fixing for using waterbased mediums! That is something I would be loved to know 10 years agao since I had to color with polychromos pencils, that are oilbased and wiped it with babyoil to get good results with injekt printer motifs.

    Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and lovey and beautiful card with us at
    TRY IT ON TUESDAY

    FROEBELSTERNCHEN FROM AUSTRIA

    xxx
    ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE
    MOO-MANIA & MORE -CHALLENGE


    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colouring skills along with fantastic design! Thanks for sharing your project with us at TioT this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello… Thanks for joining our ‘Anything Goes’ challenge with your lovely wall hanging… Please join us again next time. Good luck!
    [Diane Louise, Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful design for your lovely card!!!
    Thank you for joining Crafty Friends
    DT Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing wall hanging, you are so talented and thank you so much for sharing all the steps. I have to get this digi now, you have highlighted it so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful project, thanks for joining us again at TIOT, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card. Love the details and gorgeous image coloring. Great tutorial, Thanks for entry is our challenge at Tuesday Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful creation!! Love the colours and the design is great!!! Very Beutiful colouring
    Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge!
    Hugs Cicci
    TTCRD DT
    ciccividpennan.blogspot.com {Welcome to visit My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous !
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.