02 January 2017

Angelica


I used a variety of techniques on this card, adding hand crafted backgrounds using Distress Ink in a few different ways and a handcrafted embellishment to the image painted with Distress Ink. This is a long post as I go through all of the different details.

The day I started painting the Angelica angel, I had gotten a lovely package from Emerald Creek containing embossing powders I had ordered from them. They have a HUGE selection embossing powders of all different types, their own formulations. One of the items I had ordered is a sampler with 12 different powders. Each is only a few grams, but more than enough for many many uses.

Challenges

Sheepski Designs Face Book challenge: Anything Goes
Your Next Stamp: Sketch
Emerald Creek Dare: Bring on the New
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Anything Goes
Southern Girls: Anything Goes
Tuesday Throwdown: Anything Goes
Crafty Gals Corner: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together

Angelica is a digital stamp from SheepSki Designs. It was a freebie as part of the Kit and Clowder Facebook Advent Calendar in December 2016. I have an HP deskjet printer. To paint with water on printed digis, I need to first "fix" the ink. I print the image on light weight (80lb) watercolour card stock cut down to an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet (maximum size my printer supports) then spray it with hairspray and let that sit and dry for several hours (or sometimes a few days). I can't heavily saturate it with water, but dry painting techniques work. 


One of the powders I got as a sample is Iridescent Shimmer, a clear gloss with flecks of iridescence. I decided to use that to give the wings a special sparkle. Because heat embossing can be used as a resist, it gave me the idea to do a painted background. I printed the image on typing paper and fussy cut the image without the wings or halo, to use as a mask for that portion of the image. 

I painted the wings with a pale wash of Tumbled Glass and shadowed that with Broken China and Mermaid Lagoon. Over the blues, I added white gel pen for the feather highlights.


 I finished the painting using Distress Inks, leaving the halo unpainted.


I used a heat tool to make sure the full image was dry and powdered the panel with talc before using the  VersaMarker to prepare the wings for embossing powder. I generously covered the wings with Iridescent Shimmer. I also used the VersaMarker on the halo to emboss it with Vegas Gold. The effect of the Iridescent Shimmer is less noticeable in the pictures than in person.


I then decided to use embossing on her outfit as well. I used Lavender Sparkle and then added shadows and definition with the Dusty Concord marker. 


Making a mask from typing paper is easy, just add removable adhesive to the back to hold it in place over the image. Unless the mask gets too wet, it can usually be reused a few times.


I used the mask to cover all areas that aren't embossed that I didn't want covered by the background.


I decided to use the sketch challenge from Your Next Stamp for the layout. 


Since I was going to be using a circle die to trim the image, I dry fit the die on the panel...


..and traced the outside of the die to know how far the background needed to go, so I could place the stencil for best effect.


I placed the stencil over the panel and used Post-Its to hold it in place so I could paint through the openings. 


I used a watery Picked Raspberry and Cracked Pistachio to paint through the stencil. Then I removed the stencil.


I used a blending tool with Shaded Lilac over the whole panel to transform the unpainted areas and the painted.


I used the circle die to trim the panel to a semi-circle. I used the mini pad to run along the edges.


To add some shimmer, I used a Mini Mister with water and Perfect Pearls Confetti White to lightly spray the panel. 


I used a wet wipe to carefully wipe off the embossed wings.


I removed the masking to reveal the finished panel.


I decided to make an embellishment for the card. I cut a small piece of vellum and two strips of adhesive sheet. I put adhesive sheet on both sides of the vellum. 


I die cut a bit of knotwork ('cause I am a sucker for knotwork).


I removed the release paper from one side of the die cut and used uncut release paper to hold on to the piece to handle it without getting stuck to it.


I dumped microfine glitter on the sticky side of the die cut.


I used a fluffy makeup brush to remove loose glitter.


After dumping the excess glitter back into the bottle, I used my finger to burnish the glitter on the die cut. This both rubs the glitter deeper into the adhesive and shines up the glitter.


I dry fit the glittered die cut on the painted panel.


Since I had put adhesive on both sides of the vellum before die cutting, I realised I would need something to cover the adhesive for the portion sticking above the circle panel. I did a partial cut on another piece of vellum, cut low enough to cover the portion above the circle.


I removed the release paper from a portion of the die cut.


I matched up the cut edges of the partially cut vellum using the release paper to hold the die cut.


I then added the die cut to the circle panel, sandwiching the panel between the die cut and the partially cut vellum.


I trimmed away the loose vellum from the back.


I looked through my stash for a paper to use as a matting for the painted panel but didn't find any that looked right, so I decided to make my own. On a circle cut larger than the painted panel, I used VersaMarker to emboss the same Vegas Gold as the halo.


At this point I wasn't sure if I was going to use foam tape to raise the panel above the matting, so I used the blending tool to add Scattered Straw to the interior of the circle that might be visible.


I dry fit the golden circle matting with the panel on a dark background. I could have stopped here, but.. well.. I wanted something a bit more.


Using a wet brush, I created an ombre washed panel: Faded Jeans, Peacock Feathers, and Cracked Pistachio.


I dry fit the two panels together


I trimmed the washed panel to be matted with the Not Quite Navy card base I made. I decided not to use pop up the levels but to adhere them directly. I used portions of a glue dot on the upper parts of the die cut knotwork to allow some light through the vellum translucency and light the glitter from below as well as above.


I embossed the sentiment on the inside with Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold. 



May you follow your Dreams and always Believe in yourself. This sentiment from Your Next Stamp was a perfect fit.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a wonderful step-by-step of how you created this beautiful card :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.