02 August 2016

Dancing in the Rain


Gene with this sentiment has been in my head for a long time. I finally found the time to start him and then he took his own direction when I found the paper.

Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Wonderful Wednesday 27 July Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: 27 July Anything Goes
Southern Rudge Trading Company: 1 August Anything Goes
Crafty Gaks Corner: 27 July Anything Goes
Penny's Paper -Crafty: 27 July Anything Goes
Creative Craft Cottage: 21 July Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: 27 July Anything Goes
Craft Your Passion: 1 August Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together


I started working on Gene while I was at a crop at a local scrapbooking store, Precious Memories. The advantage of a crop at a scrapbooking store is the inventory of the store is right there. The disadvantage of a crop at a scrapbooking store is the inventory of the store is right there. I did find the perfect patterned paper and, when I started envisioning a shaker card, sequins of the right colour were also readily available.


I stamped Gene with Memeno on to Canson watercolour paper and left him to the side for a while so the ink could set since I couldn't heat set it. (I brought my heat tool but there wasn't a power plug near the table where I was.) Several times I had to just set Gene aside to dry from wet techniques. There was better light in the room where we (my friend, Betty, and I) were but no outlets was a downside.

I used Antique Linen and Wild Honey on the light and love the way it turned out. I started with Weathered Wood on the light pole and then added black to give it a wrought iron look. (I'm still 12 inks away from the full range of Distress Inks.)


While painting, I often try dabs in a corner that I know won't be in the final image or on a scrap of the same paper so I can see the colour exactly as it will look on my medium. The cover image for the Distress Ink pads is sometimes not exactly as it will look on the page, especially when it is diluted to be a lighter colour or with barely any water at all. I'm in the process of putting colour chips on the lids, dabs of diluted and straight on my usual cardstock.


Back home, I put the image on the patterned paper I found in the shop while at the crop.  Yup, it was going to work. And then I fussy cut Gene.

Part of the reason I wanted to fussy cut Gene and put him on a shaker is because I didn't stamp the image straight. When you have a rubber cling stamp, it can be hard to see exactly how it is lined up. I didn't think about the pole lining up with the side of the card and so, askew. I didn't have to do it as a fussy cut shaker, I could have corrected the askew when trimming the scene. I just like the idea of shaker rain.


After I found the raindrop paper and the idea of a shaker card started blooming, I started thinking of the shapes of my dies. I decided on the simple circles but had to find the right size. I was considering having Gene entirely within the circle.


I dry fit Gene on the raindrops with the sentiment before realising I had no size reference *laugh*


I decided I wanted to try a 5 1/2" square card. I dry fit on the card base to see that everything would fit.


I cut the fun foam by just running my finger along the back of the die to etch a circle. Then I cut out the circle with scissors. This was easier than running the foam with the Big Shot.


I cut 2 layers of fun foam. One of the layers is in 2 pieces due to the foam I had available. I decided to use the blue foam because it wouldn't be as obvious when seen at an angle. 


I wanted to have a matting for the panel so tried a couple different colours. The light banana yellow did tie in to the lamp colour well but wasn't 'right' for the card.


I had actually passed over the Brocade Blue twice while looking through the colours on my shelf, but it ended up being the right colour.


I used removable adhesive to join the matte and raindrops together so I could cut them as one and have the holes line up in the finish. I used the foam I already cut to place the circle die. I used bits of Post-It scraps to hold the die in place to run through the Big Shot.


I used the front panel to adhere the raindrop circle on the back panel in the right spot, including the orientation and placement of the drops.


The only part of the back panel which will be visible is the raindrop circle. I had experimented with colouring it instead, but the cut out was perfect. 


I glued the foam to the back panel using the circle as a guide. I dry fit the front panel and was very pleased.


I removed the raindrops from the front panel and rubbed off the adhesive. It's rather nice how it will rub away so cleanly. 


I put foam mounting tape on the back of Gene and set him aside again. 


I dry fit Gene and tried out a colour for the sentiment. The Robin's Egg blue wasn't the right colour.


I redid the sentiment in black with clear embossing, dry fit them together, and it was right. 


I used recycled packaging, again, as my window. This time I used a much thinner packaging material. I adhered the plastic to the back of the raindrops.


I then attached Gene and the sentiment to the card, also raising the card with foam mounting tape. I lined the pole parallel to the side of the card.


When added sequins (or beads, or confetti) to a shaker, it is always best, and tidiest, to add them to the 'well', the side of the card that has the depression. I added Doodlebug sequins, then added more, then took out some until I had enough to be loose for movement but still a lot for the fun.


I adhered the raindrop panel with the covered window over the rest to create a box. One solid piece. I then put a lot of adhesive on the back and attached it to my card base.


Because I used blue foam to build up the shaker, it's not as noticeable even from the sides. Having the removed circle on the back of the shaker window finishes it perfectly and the sequins still stand out.


The sequins rain and puddle so very nicely. I am glad I chose brown for his suit to give it a little colour contrast. I love how this project turned out.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your lovely crafting for Penny’s challenge 288 – hope to see you again soon – Hazel DT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic design - and the sentiment and image are perfect together! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN & FABULOUS card, LOVE it and LOVE the movie too!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing your design, tutorial and creative shaker inspiration!!!
    THANK YOU for joining us at the Crafty Gals Corner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card!!! Thanks for joining us at Inspiration Destination. I hope to see you again on the next challenge! Good luck!!! Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you did the shaker effect-beautiful! Thanks for playing with us at Craft Your Passion!
    Carolyn, DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun card and the shaker effect is awesome! Thanks for playing along with us on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.