02 June 2016

Tragedy, misery that cuts like a knife... - Disaster with Mixed Media and Recovery


I like working with a variety of mediums. One of my favourite "ooooo" mediums is Pébéo Fantasy Moon, Fantasy Prisme, and Vitrail liquid paints because of how they interact and do just absolutely cool stuff as they cure or dry. I also really like working with resin, too. When I started doing papercrafting, it was with a mind to marry it with the other media I use, too, just another technique in the tool box, of something like that.

So.. the disaster, the tragedy, the misery that cuts like a knife.. I had created a Pebeo art panel that I was intending to use as an under sea backdrop for a "not a card piece" challenge.

This blog post is about that disaster and recovery from it.




It takes a couple days of curing to get to this point after the cure...



..an hour or so to literally pour in paint and possibly move it around a little before setting it somewhere to cure for a couple days that's both level and free of anything that could drop in and become a permanent part of the project. The cool thing about the paints is how the interact while curing.

The before shot, with the paints very very wet is turned on its side with the bottom at the left.


I coloured up the Ocean Background image on vellum and laid it in place. I was pleased with the look. The Pebeo paints were still a little tacky, so the image adhered directly.


I also coloured up some sea life images from Oceans of Love and a mermaid from Mermaid Friends. Each image was stamped with Staz-on on vellum and coloured with Chameleon on the back.



I planned to seal the project with a coat of resin which would give it a gloss and also, like water does, give a bit of magnification to the images.

Generally when you're going to do a resin pour over paper items, you need to seal the paper by coating it with a sealant before adding the resin and letting it cure for several hours or, for me with my available crafting time, overnight. Vellum, though, isn't.. well.. paper. It doesn't need sealing just like acetate doesn't need sealing.

I used vellum because I like it's semi-transparency and thought it would look good with the watery aspect rather than acetate which is completely clear.

I already knew, from a previous project with acetate that the alcohol ink from Chameleon pens doesn't run with resin and I had used Staz-on with the acetate in resin without ill-effect.

However....



The Staz-on on vellum reacted with the resin and ran.... Thus the tragedy, the misery that cuts like a knife. This is not a pretty sight.

Recovery!



Since the panel is deep, I just started over on top of the failed piece (after the resin layer was fully cured). I poured in more paints (this picture is pretty early in the process, so few bottles around the panel).


I spent time adding paints again and moving them around before setting the piece to dry/cure.


I checked on it one day after curing/drying when the paints are no longer liquid but really soft tacky. Completely different look with exactly the same colour paints. There are things I like better from the first and others I absolutely love in this one.

I'm not sure I am going to use the same images. It will still be an under sea project, but not sure what scene I want to do. I will be using something from the Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps May release which was undersea themed.


I've been waffling between having the kids with a caption of "Adventure" (die from Spellbinders) or one of the mermaids. I like how the new background has sort of a grotto. Once I finish the piece, I will create another blog post.

Supplies




I used all the blues and turquoises I have of the 3 types, as well as the two pearls, a red (carmine?), a green (emerald), and a yellow (buttercup). 

More about Pébéo paints including some really cool videos:
http://en.pebeo.com/Mixed-Media/Fantasy-Prisme-Fantasy-Moon
http://en.pebeo.com/Mixed-Media/Vitrail

The paints are a bit pricy and you do use a lot in some projects and need more than one or two, but they are really cool to see. They're found in the fine art section of stores like Michaels. Start with the sets to see what they're like before going to the individual larger bottles.

Pébéo Geode resin is a 1:2 two-part epoxy resin that's crystal clear. It's soft cured after 24 hours, hard cured after 48, and fully cured a day or two after that. It's slower curing than most epoxy resins I've used but very easy for bubble management and takes colourant well.

The song I misquoted for the title:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.